Full-Time Windows Cloud Support Engineer
Windows Cloud Support Engineer – (Designed for 3+ years of experience) – Position located in Dallas TX, Herndon VA, Seattle WA
Amazon has built a reputation for excellence with recent examples of being named #1 in customer service, #1 most trusted, and #2 most innovative. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is carrying on that tradition while leading the world in Cloud technologies. As a member of the AWS Support team you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology assisting a global list of companies that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. You will work with leading companies in this space and directly with the engineering teams within Amazon developing these new capabilities.
The AWS Support team is seeking engineers that enjoy solving problems, working with customers, and have technical backgrounds from a variety of different fields including Linux/Windows systems administration, database design and optimization, big data analysis, network administration, and dev ops. The Windows role primarily supports customers running Server OS versions from 2003 through 2012R2 on top the bedrock service of EC2. EC2 is our virtual compute engine and forms the backbone of additional services such as EMR and RDS. Additional Windows based services focused on include WorkSpaces (VDI), Directory Service (enterprise scale user/group management), WorkDocs (collaborative documentation sharing) as well as Microsoft Systems Center and vCenter management plugins.
Support engineers may field general guidance questions from customers such as setting up a small website using IIS up to troubleshooting and reproducing complex performance issues from customers running fleets of server instances interacting with multiple services across several AWS regions. Our support engineers are also the “voice of the customer” and have a strong voice in to the development teams for recurring issues or feature requests. If you’re experienced in Windows system administration and you are more comfortable “getting your hands dirty” than using a search engine for solutions, then we’re looking for you!
Why AWS Support?
– Follow-the-sun model with support sites in 6 locations globally: No after hours on-call or mandated overtime in this role.
– Travel the world: Strong support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
– Career development within AWS Support: We promote advancement opportunities including senior support engineer, tier 2.5 / SME, team lead, and technical account manager – 5 support engineers have been promoted to manager within the last 2 years in Seattle alone.
– Variety: Support engineers not only work a broad spectrum of technical issues but may also coach/mentor new hires, develop and present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in recruiting, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement or strategic initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field.
Demonstrated proficiency in these areas:
- Systems administration in Windows Server (versions 2003-2012R2)
- Networking (DNS, TCP/IP)
- Open to working one weekend day (Tues-Sat or Sun-Thurs). Support engineers working a weekend day typically do so from home.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills – customers contact us via calls, chats, and email.
- Strong customer focus
- Proven ability to thrive in ambiguous and dynamic work environments.
- Track record of independently driving improvements to process, service, or customer experience.
- Strong interest and experience in developing peer groups – including technical depth, soft skills, and/or process familiarity.
- Experience in a customer support environment.
- Experience analyzing, troubleshooting, and providing solutions for technical issues.
- Experience with two or more of the following: IIS, Exchange, Active Directory, SharePoint, Group Policy
- Expertise with IPsec, VPN, Load Balancing, Iperf, MTR, Routing Protocols, SSH, Network Monitoring / Troubleshooting tools.
What if I’m not an expert in all the preferred qualifications listed on the job description?
That’s okay. That’s our preferred list, not a required listed. We hire smart people who can dive deep so we’re more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven’t been exposed to yet
How to ApplyIf you are interested in applying for this role, please send me (Jonathan Miller) an email and your updated resume to email@example.com. I can also be reached at 469-587-6585.
940 total views, 4 today