What is requirement to avail NABCEP certification?
Hazardous materials technician has the primary job duty to collect, package and properly dispose waste that are categorized as hazmat aka hazardous material. Primarily hazmat involves chemicals, chemical spills that need to be carefully disposed
Here is a career overview and job duties of a hazardous materials technician
1) Work under the supervision of manager to perform cleanup of chemical spills, clean chemical tanks
2) Science packs are chemical items used for laboratory purpose. Hazmat technician need to properly package the trash applying lab pack procedures as well as bulk package chemicals in proper containers for disposal
3) Storm drains are maintained to store good rainwater. A Hazmat technician is responsible for inspection and cleaning of storm water drains. This ensures that only rainwater is stored in storm drains by cleaning storm water pump house under confined space procedures
4) Hazmat technician must manifest,package,label as well as transport chemical drums for proper disposal of hazardous chemical waste
5) They are involved in decontamination process. This involves cleaning and decontamination of regulated materials from spills, trenches, drains, oil/water separators, boilers, vats, and other industrial cleaning applications
6) They will have to operate earth-moving equipment or trucks for proper transportation of hazardous waste. Typically Driver’s License with Hazardous Materials Endorsement is needed for this purpose
7) This is a physically demanding job involving climbing,lifting, standing, walking,carrying, crouching, crawling etc during cleaning operations
8) Knowledge and training in first-aid is expected from hazardous materials technician
9) They must properly communicate during cleaning operations,noncompliance concerns to ensure corrective actions have taken place
10) They must properly complete the required documentation and physical preparation for storage and/or shipping of both regulated and non-regulated hazardous materials, according to established procedures and appropriate regulations
11) They are expected to work off-hours on weekends,be available 24×7 over the phone
12) They must possess personal protective equipment gear bag in their possession and fully stocked at all times
13) They must apply hazardous materials handling and storage procedures and processes
14) They must store materials, parts and hazardous waste materials such as waste oils, solvents and industrial wastewater in proper locations according to identifying factors
15) They must be part of HazMat team and assist during spill response situations
16) They must maintain adequate hazmat shipping supply inventory. Typical hazmat shipping kit includes hazmat approved boxes, HAZMATPAC ABSORBENT A-900,special permit/exemption packaging,bottle in can kits,4GV packaging kits,4gv shipping coolers,toxic by inhalation shippers,4g shippers for metal containers,4g shippers for plastic containers,vermiculite etc
What is the qualification expected out of Hazardous materials technician?
1) This is a physically demanding job and the candidate is expected to be physically fit
2) Commercial driver’s license with Hazmat endorsement is a must
3) OSHA 1910-120 Operational Hazmat Technician 40 Hour Training is needed so that they understand the OSHA safety regulations while working with HAzmat. This is based on 49 CFR of OSHA. OSHA Operational Hazmat Technician Annual 8 Hour Refresher that is current is demanded by employers
4) Handling vehicles, material handling equipment like forklifts, pallet jacks etc is expected
5) CPR & First Aid Certification is often a mandate but some employers make it optional
To start with lets see what HAZWOPER translates to? Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response.
OSHA the Occupational Safety and Health Administration is the main federal agency that is in-charge of enforcement of safety and health legislation. To govern the safety of workers working in environment with exposure or potential exposure to hazardous substances including hazardous waste. Jobs involving cleaning, repair, operation,storage, emergency response in work involving hazardous waste need to train their employees with safety measure. There comes HAZWOPER training
What is covered in OSHA HAZWOPER training?
HAZWOPER training is a 40 hour course content covering OSHA Hazwoper standard 29 CFR 1910.120. Training material should be kept up-to-date by training provider. This training can be availed online.
OSHA HAZWOPER Training course covers the following topics related to Hazardous material, handling of hazardous material, staying safe while being exposed to hazardous material. Here are the OSHA HAZWOPER training topics on HazMat:
1) Site Characterizatio – Provides information needed to identify the potential hazards at a site. Worker safety via protection methods can be designed based on this site characterization information. This is essentially important information to provide best worker safety
2) Site Control – This involves procedures to be implemented to control exposure of hazardous substances even before clean-up work begins utilizing elements of site control program including sitemap, site work zones, using a buddy system, proper site communication mechanism for alerting during emergency, identification of first-aid, medical assistance closest in case of emergency. The elements are utilized as part of site control program and implemented to ensure work safety
3) Planning and Organization
4) Decontamination – By definition decontamination is the process of removign and neutralizing contaminants that ensures transfer of harumful materials into clean areas
5) Medical monitoring
6) Materials Handling
7) Emergency Response
8) Proper worker safety training
9) Hazard Recognition including Biological, Radiological, Meteorological plant parameter envelope and National Institute of occupational safety and health
What does OSHA ask for from Hazmat employers?
Employers should train their employees with 40 hour HAZWOPER training as per 29 CFR 1910.120
Employee also receive 3 days of work site specific training from their company. This should be under the guidance of a supervisor as they are dealing with hazardous material
Where should I avail 40 hours of HAZWOPER training?
This training can be availed
Healthcare domains has been limited to patient’s health in the past. Ever since data became digital healthcare domain has become inseparable with related domains including environment wherein we live, engineering that drives our daily life etc. As a result of this healthcare IT data is often used for analysis and determining the future possibility of diseases in an area
Lets take simple example of a factory site. When we do mining of patient information and determine sample of patients affected by diseases, it becomes necessary to associate this data with environment that live in. This is not limited to air, water, soil pollution in that are and looking to see if pollution control can impact future lives in that environment. This needs knowledge of biology, healthcare , information technology and bioinformatics can be extended in such application areas
Demand for alternative energy is growing daily and solar is the preferred form of alternative energy. With mass production of photo voltaic solar cells from china the price of solar panels is showing substantial decrease as time progresses. In addition to the affordable solar panel cost, government offers grants and tax breaks for installing solar panels that help with solar energy generation at homes.
As such demand for solar energy professionals in different capacities is on constant demand. Some interesting career in solar looks like solar panel PV installer, Solar heating installer, solar technician, solar electrician, solar water heating installer to name a few. With growing demand for jobs in this relatively new niche the need for professional certification from accredited institutions has become essentially important. As such Solar professionals looking for certification credential can aim at achieving NABCEP certification the world’s renowned solar energy certification credential.
NABCEP offers certification that lets the certified professionals practice with this title offering the following benefits:
1) The exam certification standards are set by NABCEP. Once a professional is certified he naturally meets the standards
2) NABCEP certified professionals must possess essential skills and experience to distinguish themselves from their competition
3) Certified practitioners demonstrate their competency and gives confidence among public who choose to install solar panels at home. This doesn’t mean that professionals who are not certified can’t take up this job. The credentials demonstrates credible competency of professionals
Lets take a look at different certification programs offered by NABCEP and who can benefit from each of them
1) Solar PV Installation Professional Certification – Professionals who currently hold job roles as installers, project managers, foreman, supervisors, designers can choose to pursue this certification
2) Solar Heating Installer Certification – Personnel responsible for system installation like foreman, contractor, supervisor, journeyman can go for this credential
3) Solar PV Technical Sales Certification – Candidates who are in job profiles like sales person, application engineer, financial analyst, performance analyst, site assessor can choose to pursue Solar PV technical sales professional certification. Candidates who are certified get competitive advantage as this is a demonstration of their skills and expertise in solar PV technical sales.
North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners NABCEP as it is popularly called offers the best industry standard certification that helps professionals in solar photovoltaic field showcase their talent to the world.
Following are the certification tracks offered by NABCEP
1) Solar PV Installers – Solar photovoltaic installers perform solar panel installation
2) Solar Heating Installers – Solar heating panel installers perform installation for heating pools
3) Small Wind Installers – Install small wind turbines
4) Solar PV Technical Sales – Sales professional who are certified consultants get leverage with this certification
Any organization needs an environmental management system. We interact with environment and every organization holds social responsibility to make sure the environment is secured throughout the lifecycle of the organization
An environmental management system, EMS as it is popularly called works in an organized framework. EMS essentially involves
1) Proper planning analyzing the nature of business, its interaction with environment, the way the business operation can impact an environment
2) Organizing the information collected including artifacts, operations in business that impact environment and come up with plan to mitigate risks posed by business to environment if any. Most common businesses that cause pollution like industries, oil and gas exploration plants etc need to have best organization of EMS
3) Execution of environmental management plan
4) Monitor and control the tasks periodically
As such a person responsible for EMS of an organization is the environmental manager. This person is expected to have fantastic people management skills, communication skills, stakeholder management as he needs to interact with many people throughout the project lifecycle
NABCEP offers unique opportunity to certify and showcase your PV skills. As a recruiter, hiring manager, project manager it might become essential to make sure the person is actually certified by NABCEP. To ensure that it would be easy to locate details on the following from NABCEP website
1) Name of certificate holder
2) Type of certification
3) City,State location
4) Organization details
5) Contact form that helps you contact the certificate holder directly How do I locate the certificate holder?
It can be located using one or more of the following values:
1) Country, state, zipcode,city
2) Name of certificate holder
3) Type of certification availed – solar photo voltaic installer installer,solar heating installer,small wind installers, solar pv technical sales Where do I find this detail? It can be easily located from NABCEP website certificant locator
Environmental analyst job has a wide scope. There are domain specific environmental analyst profiles like CEHA the Coastal Erosion Hazard Area analyst. They work on flood protection projects
They work under supervision of floodplain managers. Here is a quick job overview of this job profile :
1) Co-ordinate and conduct community assistance visits
2) Will meet locals with floodplain managers
3) Need to assess training needs
4) Need to perform regulatory activities like compliance inspection of CEHA facility
5) Review permit applicaitons, provide permit oversight of sandy recovery projects. This needs to be in compliance with CEHA. This determines the safety
What is the educitonal qualification to crack this job?
Candidate is expected to have a Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, environmental science, environmental studies, or related field